As explained in this monograph about alcohol, consumption of alcoholic beverages is not innocuous. It seems that as the intake of this drug is tolerated by society it has no consequences. Nothing is further from reality.
The only truth is that, as with any other drug, drinking has consequences and side effects very short, medium and long term, even with the consumption of small amounts.
Small amounts of alcohol can
- Disturb the reason and judgment. False sense of security.
- Slow reflexes.
- Difficulty to talk clearly and muscle control.
- Causes loss of balance.
- Reduces visual and auditory quality functions.
- Hinders and slows considerably the ability to react.
- Disinhibiting, causing false sense of euphoria, talkativeness.
- Irritates the lining of the stomach and intestines.
- Causes nausea and vomiting from irritation and injury to the stomach lining.
- Alters the absorption of nutrients needed by the body, especially the B vitamins.
The consequences of alcohol can be perceived from the first second. Drinking alcohol has immediate effects from the first drink. Whatever the frequency, drinking encourages risky behavior, and there are times (more frequent) where alcohol is present to cause accidents, traffic, riots, violence and aggression, vandalism ect.
According to various parameters, such as the amount of alcohol, family history, health status, frequency of consumption, etc., consuming large amounts of alcohol will have devastating consequences as we detail here:
Loss of consciousness.
- Breathing difficult.
- Causing death by alcoholic coma, respiratory paralysis and cardiovascular compromise.
Factors that can influence in alcohol poisoning and coma (short term drinking or binge drinking)
In the same proportions, each person behaves very differently when drinking alcohol. Even in the same person, alcohol can impact differently in different occasions. Some influencing factors that provoke these changes are:
The age, physical condition, weight, the amount of food in the stomach, the kind of personality and family background influence how alcohol affects the behavior of every person.
Circumstances and temporary situations
The rate at which alcohol is ingested, the place where you drink, who is drunk and the time that it takes to affect the behavior of the drinker.
Frame of mind
Expectations, motives and emotions, influence the behavior of the person who drinks alcohol.
Long-term consequences of alcoholism
Heavy drinking may have consequences in the long term. Alcohol disrupts the life of a person in all respects. If there are no solutions, this will lead to situations that we detail here. Consumption and continued alcohol risk creeps before or after some or many of the different diseases and conditions developed that we mention below:
At work or at a professional level
- frequent delays or arriving late frequently.
- Failure of targets and delays in completion of work, reduced work performance in general.
- Slowness, clumsiness and poor performance.
- Frequent disappearances post without prior justification (absenteeism for minor illnesses such as colds, flu or gastrointestinal disorders).
- Premature aging.
- Judgment deterioration.
- Memory loss and inability to concentrate.
- Immunological abnormalities.
- Chronic gastritis, gastric or duodenal ulcers and other gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Alteration of the overall functioning of the liver causing cellular damage that results ultimately in cirrhosis.
- Acute hepatitis, which can eventually lead to death.
- pancreatitis, hypertension.
- Increased triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
- Hypoglycemia, ketoacidosis and hyperglycemia.
- Different cancers of the gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach and other locations).
- In males, decreased testosterone, loss of facial hair, enlarged breasts, decreased libido and impotence and amenorrhea in women, anovulation and early menopause.
- Fetal alcoholism consequences
On a personal level
- Deterioration and substantial alteration of personal relationships.
- Loss of relationship with family and friends.
Chronic alcohol use
- Can reduce up to 20 years in the lives of people who abuse it, plus having a terrible life in general.